- The influence of big names like Google and Wikipedia making the move as well.
- Michael Widenius the creator of MySQL is running the project.
- Works with SequalPro, Querious* and Navicat out of the box.
Article installation notes
Be sure to watch the OS X terminal as you go through the article for information on different levels of configuration.
- Step 4: You will need to install Homebrew using instructions from http://brew.sh/
- Step 6: Watch the terminal for your start up plist LaunchDaemon instructions.
- Step 7: You are probably installing a later version. You will want to cd into the directory with the version you installed.
- Step 11: If you see MySQL in your version you need to uninstall MySQL. You should’t run MySQL and MariaDB.
Quick and dirty install
For those who have a little more experience these are the brief installation instructions.
I’m installing 10.0.17 your version might be different.
> xcode-select --install > ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)" > brew update > brew install mariadb > unset TMPDIR > cd /usr/local/Cellar/mariadb/10.0.17/ > ln -sfv /usr/local/opt/mariadb/*.plist ~/Library/LaunchAgents > mysql_install_db > mysql.server start > mysql_secure_installation > cd ~ > touch .my.cnf # your mysql config
Now log into MariaDB and check your version.
> mysql -u root -p Enter password: Welcome to the MariaDB monitor. Commands end with ; or g. Your MariaDB connection id is 6 Server version: 10.0.17-MariaDB Homebrew Copyright (c) 2000, 2015, Oracle, MariaDB Corporation Ab and others. Type 'help;' or 'h' for help. Type 'c' to clear the current input statement. MariaDB [(none)]> select @@version; +-----------------+ | @@version | +-----------------+ | 10.0.17-MariaDB | +-----------------+ 1 row in set (0.00 sec)